Friday, November 10, 2006

Why We Can't Fault the Big East

On the way to work on Mondays and Wednesdays, I listen to a sports talk show on ESPN radio. I think it's called The Big Easy, but I'm not too sure. Anyway, these homers from louisville call in and talk about not getting respect and how they deserve it and blah blah blah. Then, these other homers from Lexington (UK) or other places call and say that Louisville is awful and the Big East is terrible, and blah blah blah. It's a never ending discussion that has dominated this show for the last four weeks. Frankly, how much can you beat a dead horse? Is there nothing else to talk about in the world of sports? But that's not where I'm going with this.

Here's my perspective on the situation. Yes, the Big East seems to be a weak conference. And we'll never know how good these teams are until they actually play a talented team outside their conference. (This is why bowl games are so good.) The truth of the matter is this: we cannot trash louisville or the big east. It is not their fault that the BCS is a joke. I believe the adage is 'don't hate the player, hate the game.' The BCS system is a complete joke, and it makes very little sense that we depend on computers to determine who should play in the national championship game. Here's an idea... PLAYOFFS. (Cue Jim Mora... Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?) I won't elaborate on this because I don't want to follow the example of the Big Easy and beat a dead horse. It's been talked about already. Let's just say the current college football postseason is a joke, and it's not the fault of Louisville or the Big East. Unless you want to blame them for just being terrible...

No comments: