Thursday, October 12, 2006

Well, we're definitely not in Texas

Who knew it could be this cold in October? I remember going to an Aggie game at the end of October one year and I got sun burned and almost passed out because it was so hot. We're going to get a frost tonight, and it's only the beginning of October.

On the plus side, we're starting to get some leaves that are turning. We'll get some pictures up soon, hopefully.

Everyone keeps asking for Helen to post... well, i've been trying, but she insists that I'm way too good at it, and it would be a crime to prevent me from rambling. I'll keep nagging her, and we'll see what the outcome is.

Scott and Aurelie and their daughter are coming to visit this weekend. They're coming in on Saturday and leaving Wednesday. Helen will be on fall break, and I'll be in school. woohoo.

To update you on my fall break... Yes, I did finish my paper. I need Helen to read it to make sure it makes sense, and I seriously doubt that is something she was looking forward to doing on her fall break. So as soon as she assures me that it makes sense, and as soon as I get it turned in, i'll post it for those of you who are interested. (I'll wait until after I turn it in, that way if someone finds flaws in my logic it will be too late for me to mess with it. I've done all the writing I will do on the paper.)

I spent some time reading The Reformed Pastor by Puritan Richard Baxter. It's a great read for anyone, not just pastors. If you've never read the Puritans before, realize that they habitually write in page-long run-on sentences, and the language arts teacher in me shudders constantly.

If you are interested, one of the best and most famous Puritan writers is Jonathan Edwards. Being a Puritan and a genius, he is difficult to read. But he gives insight to some of the most difficult passages of Scripture and philosophical dilemmas. I used him on my paper on the problem of evil, and he has influenced many of the great contemporary theological thinkers (i.e. John Piper.)

One of the most famous sermons of Edwards is Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. We read it in high school, and if it does not stir you unto repentence, I'm not sure what will. Read it if you dare.

In other news, did I mention it's cold outside? I have to get back to studying, so until next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for fall weather! We are so excited we can hardly stand it. Ellie's so excited that she started walking just this week! Now she is really ready to show off for y'all. See you in about 24 hours, Lord-willing.