Thursday, September 14, 2006

the new clock rules

First, let me say that I love college football. This is a great time of year, and it gets better when we get into conference play and perennial powerhouses actually play real teams instead of high schools. (yes I realize last week #1 and #2 played... although #2 hardly looked like #2, thanks and gig 'em... but that is the exception rather than the rule.

All that to say, September, October, November and December are good months for TV on saturday. But there is something I must speak against. Of all the things lacking in college football, the NCAA picked one of the least important to fix. They could have decided that it is ridiculous to have a math formula determine who plays in the national championship, and decided to create an eight team playoff whereby the national champion would be determined. It works in high school, I-AA, the NFL.......... why can't it work in Division I-A? (I think it has to do with money, bowls, and sponsorships, but I can't put my finger on it.)

Or what about car dealerships (allegedly) paying players (allegedly) truckloads of money for (allegedly) very little work? maybe the NCAA could spend some time investigating that? (Rhett and bob... i'm looking in your direction)

No, the NCAA decided theyd throw us all a curveball. I know, let's completely ruin everyone's end of game strategy by messing with the change of possession clock rules. In case you haven't heard, the clock now starts on the whistle after a punt or other change of possession. also, the clock now starts when the ball is kicked on kickoffs, rather than when the ball makes contact. Why? With regard to football, I can't figure it out. But I do know this. TV wants nice little 3 hour packages so they can play afternoon blockbusters (allegedly) with no name actors that no one cares about.

So, I found this little website that you can use if you are as opposed to this as I am.

Sign this petition at www.wehatethenewclockrules.com and blog about it. Because that's about all we can do, since the NCAA is a dark overlord who will not be challenged.

That's it. I feel better.

No comments: