Friday, March 06, 2009

Congrats 2008-2009 Lady Rebels

So my dad made it to the state tournament again. I was thinking last night about how greedy I've become. Ten years ago, I was hoping he could just a get chance to play at the Erwin Center. In 2001, my senior year, he made it and I was satisfied. It's such a privilege to make it to the final four, I thought surely that was his one shot. Well this year, out of nowhere, they made the state tournament again. Before state, they had a record of 34-4. that's the most wins he's ever had. Two of those losses were to rival Del Valle, who they beat in the Regional Final with seconds to go. One of those losses was to another team who is in the 5A state tournament. So this year, I was greedy. It wasn't enough for them to be there. I wouldn't be satisfied unless they won it all.

The problem is that they may as well have been playing the spurs last night. Waco Midway had 4 players with D-1 scholarships and the Baylor Women's Basketball coach's daughter. We were overmatched. I watched with pride as the Rebels played toe-to-toe with basically a D-1 college team in the first half. Entering halftime, they were only down 6. 

The second half was a different story, and the final score wasn't close. I left the Erwin Center with a sick feeling. It wasn't because of all the cow-poop colored burnt orange, although that didn't help. I was sick because I wanted my dad to win the whole thing. No matter the circumstances, no matter how good the other team is, I always have a feeling tucked deep down inside that my dad can win any game. And for the first half last night, the feeling was almost realized.

So congratulations, Dad and team. You guys were unbelievable this year. You consistently surprised everyone in the area and I was proud to watch. 11 juniors returning next year should make things interesting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks son! I appreciate that! of all my accomplishments one of the best is having two great sons!!!